Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:12:59 EST
...it was around 1973, I was manager of the MIT Hayden Gallery, my assistant
Billy and I had gone down the corridor to fetch the 14' step ladder we used to
work on the ceiling & lights, etc.  Billy was in his early 20's, from a blue
collar suburb of Boston, not educated past high school but extreemly quick &
bright, & witty.  His long hair was a flag many of us wore back then.  Billy
was walking in front carrying the foot of the ladder, I followed with the top.
 Anticpating  which end of the ladder would have to enter the gallery first,
there not being room to turn it in the corridor, I said "Billy, go straight"
 his immediate reply was "Never!"  He cought me so off guard with with the
wisecrack, it has forever been my favorite remembrance of him.  I'm quite sure
he never did, although we did manage to maneuver the ladder into the gallery
without a hitch.

   Stephen B. Ringle, Registrar             [log in to unmask]
   University of Maine Museum of Art
   5712 Carnegie Hall, Room 109              vox: 207-581-3257
   Orono, Maine   04469-5712                 fax: 207-581-3083