From:
Larry Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:29:40 -0500
Dan,

Following on Peter's comment. I support the 'storage view' idea as well.
I put a similar viewing portal into a two-story mechanical room that
housed life support equipment for an aquarium. The small space
cantelevered into the mechanical space at the second floor level
providing an elevated perspective. The interpretation was simple and
explained the mechanical systems. We also painted up the equipment and
plumbing and added graphics so that the whole system functioned as its
own diagram. People loved a glimpse behind the scenes at the 'magic'.

In another case I advised on a huge underground archival storage
facility for a major university. The storage is in man-made caves,
several stories below the surface. For safety and security reasons we
could not allow guest access but we did create a viewing area so they
could see into one of the spaces. The infinity effect of the long
man-made cave and the rows of shelves receding into the distance was
spectacular. The interpretive component was relegated to the reading
room above, and while outdated now, provided a diagram of the caves and
an explanation of why they were perfect for storage.

I would also echo Peter's comment on listening to your guests - you have
an exceptional opportunity to start clean, and the guest perspective
will inform you before you get to far down the road. Go for it!

Larry Fisher