From:
Michael Radice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 03:49:51 EST
        New museums in the United States are created in a variety of ways.  I work
for a 2 yr old museum started by an individual.  She is the Director, Curator,
chief fundraiser, etc.  I've also done some consulting work for another
museum; it was also started by an individual.  However, this person first
formed an organization to develop the museum (theater museum), found people
with money and connections who would support her, and then engaged in a multi-
year process of putting it together philosophically, financially,
architecturally, etc.  She is near completion of her mission, and will  hire a
professional Director to take it to the next step.  Both of these museums are
"noncollectors," meaning that they don't, and won't, have collections.  That
is becoming increasingly common in the United States, given the cost and legal
wranglings that accompany collections.
        Other museums are started by cultural or religious organizations, wanting to
memorialize their history or a part of their past, such as the Museum of
Jewish Heritage in New York City.
        Some new museums are satellites of existing museums.
        So, there really isn't any one way to go about it in the United States.  The
only "common threads" are that a not-for-profit corporation is formed, a Board
of Directors is assembled, funding is pursued, and the organization acquires
state accreditation as a museum (if the state has such a system).
        I've noticed that some museums begin with a series of temporary exhibitions,
housed in donated spaces -- a kind of "testing the waters" approach.  The
purpose of the exhibitions is to attract interest.  I've seen this phenomenon
at least twice in New York.
        There really isn't any one way, in the United States, for organizing a
museum.
Mike Radice
The Union Institute