From:
"Slaton JD (J) at MSXSOPC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 07:42:57 -0600
The following message was interesting to me because I live and work within a
couple miles of where Lewis and Clark departed on their journey. They camped
and trained here (in military fashion) prior to leaving, and they departed
where Wood River Creek empties into the Mississippi. This is along the Great
River Road, where Route 3 junctions with Route 143. This is two or three
miles North of where the State of Illinois decided to put the Historic Site.
They chose the point where a drainage canal dumps into the Mississippi, for
some reason. Note: The point where Wood River Creek used to flow into the
Mississippi can still be seen by climbing onto the levee and just looking.
It is clearly visible.