From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:02:04 -0800
This is an excellent sugggestion.

I would also encourage you not to just use a cut
-and-paste approach but to genuinely survey your insitution for
potential risks - is any area of the building prone to flooding? If
so, where? Look over the engineer's plans and locate where all of the
water pipes and drain pipes run in the structure - are there any
sensitive collections or records immediately underneath them? Who in
the instituion is repsonisble for things like shutting off water and
power if a disaster strikes? Make sure that their responsibilities and
knowledge are shared, because disaster has a nasty habit of happening
when key staff are out of town. Talk to other local intstituitions and
local conservation organizations to develop a disaster resource list
and also develop a group of local experts who you can call on in any
disaster response. Have someone on staff take a disaster workshop and
then develop your plan and practice it! You do not want to be knee
deep in water doing a response and recovery for the first time. Also,
here in Califonria we have to be very aware of potential seismic
events - but there are also many other areas in the country that may
be unsuspectingly at risk - check and double check to make sure that
your risk for earthquake is low (remember history - the New Madrid,
Missouri event in 1812 was far larger than the 1906 event in San
Francisco and actually reversed the flow of the Mississippi river -
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/prepare/factsheets/NewMadrid/).

If hurricanes and northeasters are within range then also be prepared
for both flooding and wind and loss of power.

Don't just develop a document as just another management document - be prepared!

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator