From:
Ann Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:29:34 -0500
Richard,

For an affordable locker source, I'd start with a local school district
facilities person or architect who focuses on school buildings.  A locker
company putting thousands of lockers into the new high school (or often in
town to maintain or show off an existing installation) may give the best
prices and service for your smaller special order.  School facilities people
are also attuned to security issues.

The products of competing manufacturers have become fairly standardized to
meet public bidding specifications and many companies offer a wide range of
sizes and types, including self-checking ones. The Sweets Catalogue (many
architects, facility managers and builders have it) includes
well-illustrated materials from lots of locker makers.

Some respondents have suggested asking visitors to leave their bags in their
cars.  I would argue against this as a tourist who has had her trunk broken
into at both a rural and urban cultural sites. There are still more petty
thieves than terrorists out there.

Will the events of Sept. 11 sadly lead us towards cultural facilities whose
lobbies are designed more like those of courthouses and embassies where
checking in is highly controlled?

Ann Trowbridge, AIA