From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 12:50:31 -0700
And I've had some bizarre spam of late in my email
box.  Seems the spammers are getting more clever.
Probably related to that cgi script of which I spoke.
They seem to have somehow gotten the first names of
people with whom I correspond, and now some of the
spam comes to me as being from that first name (not
last).

The example would be that, if I corresponded with
Roger, they seem to know, and they would forge a spam
header on a note to me that was addressed from Roger.
The logic is that, since I know Roger, I'd click on
it.  Done that 3 times, but have learned to pick up
even my nonYahoo mail on a website with its own
server, hopefully not downloading anything (criminy,
do I sound like Paranoid Patti here).

In any event, I urge each of you to go the Tourbus
archives and read yesterday's article (the first link
in the archives) about Identity Theft.  Great dos and
don'ts.  The archives are here:

http://www.tourbus.com/archives.htm

If you've not signed up for Tourbus, DO!  Twice
weekly, free, best web pointers and sites of which I'm
aware, and I'm a four-year plus very satisifed
subscriber.

http://www.tourbus.com

> Dear Ellen:
>
> Much sympathy.  I recently had an extremely
> offensive spam, apparently
> from a hotmail.com address, so I sent it on to the
> Hotmail Postmaster.
>
> They investigated and found that it was being sent
> from some untracable
> origin, but showing an apparently legitimate
> address.  It looks as though
> you are a victim of something similar.  However, if
> you haven't done so,
> it would be advisable to do a virus check on your
> address book in
> particular, since that seems to be the place where
> such attachment virus
> mailings seem to originate.
>
> Patrick

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights