From:
Rick Figard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 13:25:43 EST
Well David since we are so "into" the law here, are we forgetting that taking
drugs is illegal?  Or is this too trivial a point to make?
In the grand scheme of things explain to me the difference between a drug test
and a background check when you apply for a job.....they run a background
check on you when you apply for a job.  Taking drugs is a crime. I just see
drug testing as par for the course.
I did a drug test when I was 19 so I could work for an insurance company.
It didn't kill me and my rights weren't violated.  I had the choice to say
no and go work somewhere else.  Just like for some jobs you have to wear
a suit and tie.  For the life of me I cannot understand why museum personnel
would be tested for drugs.  I don't see us posing that much of a threat to
society or our workplace for that matter.  My whole stand on the matter is
you have a choice not to take the test.  No one is holding your arm behind your
back and forcing you to take it.  While conceivably it may go on your record
if you fail said test I have never seen anything go in a persons record to say
that they chose not to take the test, although I understand your point that
it could be used as grounds for termination.
Thanks for replying.  I appreciate the response and your points are well taken.

                             Rick Figard
     Smithsonian Institution - Office of Fellowships and Grants
     ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/ã/