From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 21:17:45 -0500
On Feb 24, 1996 06:01:45, 'John Chadwick
<[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>I have been enjoying this discussion because I think it really shows how
much
>the role of museums in society has changed, as well as how much we really
>haven't changed with time.
>
>I was really struck by Julia's statement of "inculcation of the
middle-class
>ideal to the masses" perception, something that really is a hold over from
the
>19th century [...]

Once upon a time, not such a very long time ago, people were expected to
show proper respect for cultural environments.  One New York museum and its
attendant library had strict dress codes for entry and use.  The library
required men to wear ties and jackets, women had to wear dresses or skirts.
 As an accommodation, the entry desk kept wrap-around skirts for women who
showed up in pants.  Nothing for the men, however.  Men were prohibited
from removing their jackets in the winter's sweltering steam heat.  How do
you bring culture to the masses? Sweat it out of them.

There is an apocryphal story concerning a well-known art historian who was
prevented from using the library to research his monograph on
impressionism.  The library's owner kept him out because reputedly he was a
communist.  I've never seen it, but supposedly among the credits to the
first edition of his two volume tome is a "no thanks" to this library.

The moralistic programme of the 19th century seems to have hung around for
a while.

--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant