From:
Vanya Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:54:33 -0400
Greetings--

While browsing the archives I discovered interesting discussions of how
museums handle visitors tipping museum staff with cash. At our museum, we
encounter not only cash tips, but also visitors who give our staff (such
as friendly, helpful security gaurds, docents, or museum store staff)
tokens such as hats, commemorative coins, or other items.

These items all relate directly to our museum's mission (that is, they
relate to atomic history) and would possibly have been considered for
inclusion in the collections had they been offered through our curators or
management staff.

Does your museum have a written policy dealing with this? If a gift
recipient does not offer to turn their gift over to the museum, how does
one approach them about doing so(if at all)?

All advice/observations are appreciated. My thanks in advance!

Vanya Scott, Registrar
Atomic Testing Museum
755 E. Flamingo Road
Las Vegas, NV  89119-7363