Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:07:08 -0600
Speaking from a large bureaucratic organization--send your resume directly
to the person you would like to work for.  Follow-up with a phone call and
see if you can schedule a meeting with the person even if they don't have an
opening at present.  If they are interested in you they will help you
negotiate the right steps with the human resources department.  If they take
time to meet you be sure to send a thank you note.  In twenty years I have
only had a handful and they do make an impression.  Don't call to thank
them--send a note.

Kathy Dickson

as one of the many looking...i haven't seen this addressed, but i was
thinking of sending some letters cold to major museums in my area (new
york city) - in other words, asking if there any openings or if they could
keep my resume on file.  i have two questions about this:  is this not
really helpful?  if it is helpful, is it better to send directly to the
department i am interested in (education), or human resources, or does it
depend on the museum?

does anyone have some suggestions about this?  many thanks!  meryl zwanger