From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:46:31 -0800
Bernard Barryte writes:

>University Museums (in particular):  We are seeking information on
>how other universities put on exhibitions by their MFA
>candidates:  group or one-person shows? duration and frequency?
>location---in art dept. space, student gallery (or studios), museum
>exhibition space, or other?  How are the shows funded?
>
>Please feel free to tell us more than we've asked.
>
>And respond off list to:  [log in to unmask]
>
>Thank you for your generous assistance.
>
>Bernard Barryte,
>Stanford University Museum of Art

At Art Center College of Design the MFA exhibitions are solo, and are
scheduled during the student's final trimester -- one or two weeks each, as
many shows as there are graduates in a trimester.  This works for us
because we are on a trimester system, three full terms per year, Fall,
Spring, and Summer, and we have three greaduations per year. There are
about 35 students in the Fine Art MFA program.  The exhibitions take place
in an MFA gallery that is probably about 500 square feet. The students run
this gallery, i.e. they install the shows, organize receptions, get
invitations made.  There is a staff coordinator in the Fine Art Department,
but I believe her interaction is minimal -- scheduling mostly.  There is a
small budget for each show provided by the Graduate Studies department.

I used to have responsiblity for MFA exhibitions but happily relinquished
it when the students began to voice their desire for independence.  Now the
organization of final exhibitions is part of their learning experience and
it seems to work fine.

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, CA 91103 USA (818)396-2397  fax (818)405-9104 [log in to unmask]