From:
Steven Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:52:39 -0400
Oh my goodness...What did I start.  I have just begun to read the responses
to my quesry of last week.  I did not mean to start a war at home!!

We were in no way going to accept War booty! I was simply curious as to how
museums were protecting themselves from "unknowingly" accepting possbily
questionable items into their collections.

I have been to many museums that have war memorabilia brought home by
veterans from many different past wars that I wonder whether the returning
veteran really had a right the item in the first place.  Also, how is a
overseas war item fit in the collection of institutions all over the
country with missions that cover a local area or region only.

Indeed, my intentions were nothing by admirable and I sincerely apologize
for whatever controversary this has caused on this list!!  I just did not
want the type of thing that the British Museum and Turkey or Greece are
facing today to start in our hemisphere of the museum community today.

Steven Stewart