From:
"m. white" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 21:43:06 -0500
There actually appears to be more than one Funeral Services Museum. Both
the sites that I located are part of the funeral services industry. The
museum in Houston is described by "Houston Attractions"
http://www.steppingout.com/attractions/attraction11.htm  as

"Operated by funeral giant Service Corporation International, it is
the nation's largest collection of historic funeral service
memorabilia and artifacts. A historic collection of memorabilia and
artifacts providing education about one of our most important cultural
rituals. The museum documents the funeral service from
ancient Egypt to the present. Highlight exhibits include restored
horse-drawn hearses, vintage automobiles and a one-of-a-kind
1916 Packard funeral bus. The "Funerals of the Famous" gallery
includes information and memorabilia from the funerals of EIvis,
Valentine, Abraham Lincoln, Dwight Eisenhower, Martin Luther
King Jr., John F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Vince
Lombardi, among others. Open daily. - (415 Barren Springs, 713/876-3063)."

The second site that I located is part of the Herr Funeral Homes and has a
small on-line site that is attached to the information about their
services. http://www.herrfuneral.com/

There might also be a site in Broward County Florida but I couldn't get
any information to confirm this.

In both these cases the "museum" would seem to have a significant effect
on the services being offered and the ways that these services might be
experienced by viewers/mourners. The Herr museum appears to be
directly linked to their funeral home. "The 1918 Sayers & Scoville
hearse was purchased in the mid 1970's with 12,000 original miles. It
can reach a maximum speed of 15 mph, too fast for the people of its day.
The rear of the hearse is made entirely out of wood as are the tire rims.
In order to prevent cracking of the wood the hearse is now
displayed in a glass, climate-controlled room attached to the funeral
home." Both these cases might be interestingly applied to Adorno'
discussion of the deathlike effect of the museum in his article titled
"Valery Proust Museum."

I have been considering the adoption of the term "museum" to describe a
variety of on-line  collections in my dissertation on the
virtual museum. These non traditional models, which may turn into the
"great" museums of tomorrow, certainly seem to have
some effect on the ways that traditional museums design their web
sites.I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the effect that on-line
museums, such as Nicolas Pioch's Webmuseum, have had on other museum
sites, either on-line or off.

I would be interested in hearing about the physical design, display
strategies, and label texts that either of these funeral services museums
employ.

Wishing I lived closer to Houston,
Michele White