From:
Samantha Pillar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 22:49:43 EDT
According to Dennis C. Kois:

> On June 3 Helen Glazer, Exhibitions Director, Goucher College wrote:
>
> "I occasionally get letters in the mail with resumes from recent graduates
> [...] asking if positions are available. They all get a boilerplate letter
> saying, no, and there will be none in the forseeable future.
> I suppose the theory is that I might read over the resume and tuck it
> away, or pass it on to someone else, but I wouldn't pass along a resume
> from someone I don't know. I can't imagine anything resulting from this
> mass mailing approach..."
>

> NO, the "theory" is that you might deign to show a modicum of respect for
> a recent college graduate by actually taking a moment to seriously
> consider their resume should a position be available. Apparently the only
> way anyone gets a position in your institution is to know you... hardly a
> diverse pool of applicants!
>
> As a graduate student in Museum Studies at NYU, I have taken both
> approaches- responding to the few and far between ads, as well as sent
> resumes cold. And in fact, I've gotten more interviews from exhibition
> design firms and museums via the "cold" mailings than via the ads. All I
> can say is thank goodness not everyone takes the same elitist attitude you
> do... I find your comments insulting to those of us who invest our time,
> and hard work, not to mention thousands of dollars in grad school (or even
> undergrad) only to have their resumes ignored by someone who thinks they
> PERSONALLY know everyone who might be qualified for their institution.

Before things get too heated, I think most people would take a
middle road between Dennis and Helen. Considering it was only a
year ago that I graduated from grad school, I understand Dennis
being fed up with unanswered letters and snooty attitudes about
new graduates. They often don't get the credit they deserve.

At the same time Helen has a point too. One of
the biggest lessons I learned in school is that everything is
networking and _who you know_. While I myself had no success
with cold call letters, I was successful when I sent letters
and resumes to people I did know. Former professors,
colleagues, and people I met in conferences were glad to hold
onto my resume or to keep me in mind when they heard about
jobs. That way I had an edge over anyone else who is just
coming off the street because the employer would already have a
(hopefully) reliable indicator that I would do well in this job.

Dennis and Helen both have a point and I'm not siding with
either one. Finding a museum job is hard enough!

--
Samantha R. Pillar, Executive Director             [log in to unmask]
VA Fire and Police Museum                          ph  (804)644-1849

"Some facts are true, some are distorted, and some are untrue."
                                - a State Department spokesperson