From:
"N.M. Cummings" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:23:29 LOCAL
I e-mailed her and my initial reaction was when she said that the employee had
removed the slides from their proper location, not making any kind of note
that he/she took them, then took them out of the building and had a photo
service or friend do the duplicating.  That's what rang the warning bells for
me.  What if...

1) the employee damaged the slides or they were scratched during the
duplication process?

2) they were mis-filed when they were returned?

Like a library with books, you fill out a card and that way if somebody else
needs the book, they can come to you and take a look at the book if it's not
on the shelves/stacks. What that employee did could have affected anyone who
needed the slide (s) for a museum lecture versus personal use.

Bottom line, I think the employee in question has a bad attitude by responding
with the "Uh, I work here, why can't I use whatever I want, whenever I
want..."  Maybe a policy manual describing how not to be so selfish would
benefit that employee.

The problem wasn't with the employee obtaining slides of conservation work, it
was removing the slides, without permission, and taking them out of the
building...(I think -- at least that was my take on the situation).

-Nina-

Nina Cummings, The Field Museum, Photography Department