From:
Rebernik PHAROS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:08:59 +0200
Dear Reine Hauser et.al.,

you elaborated beautifully on the main problem of the main tasks of
museums, serving the collection, serving the public, about what could be the
basis for evaluating a museum or an exhibition.

I do think that this is the problem: The world of museums might have not
brought forward a reasonable evaluation scheme for their own efforts, a
scheme which is clear to the management and employees AND to the museum
holder AND to the public.

In business it is easy: It is the client who makes the evaluation by buying
the stuff offered - or not. Therefore, lacking other evaluation schemes, the
public (the media and "nice" colleagues of other museums) puts the same rule
of thumb for the exhibitions: more visitors - better product (exhibition).

If we want to have it differently, then we have to find a realistic and
accepted evaluation scheme for the museums and/or exhibitions, maybe in
variations for different kinds of museums and exhibitions (art, technology,
history, nature - big, small  etc.).
It would also be nice to have it to challenge the staff to achieve this
common goal.

But, currently, it seems to the public that we shift (coyly) between being
proud that so many visitors came to one exhibitions and for the next
exhibition, where nobody comes, we blame the press or hold up the eternal
flag of culture or conservation or collection or education etc.

Since this task seems too complicated - and nobody really wants it (even the
studies of museology would hate it!!! - Therefore, it is no science
!?!?!?) - we have to live with the dichotomy.

Greetings from museum covered Austria,

Peter, the evaluating Rebernik

 | PHAROS International - Bureau for Cultural Projects
 | Peter Rebernik, Dipl.-Ing.
 | Anton Baumgartner-Str. 44/C2/3/2
 | A - 1230 Wien / AUSTRIA
 | Tel.:  (+43 1) 667 7375; Fax:  (+43 1) 667 2984
 | Mobiltel.: (+43 664) 230 2767
 | Email: [log in to unmask] / Web: www.rebernik.at
This mail is a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.