Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 12:59:07 -0400
My name is Ginger Young.  I am a graduate student in the Museum Science
program at Texas Tech University.  I am working on a research project
involving objects found within a museum collection that have no accession
number and/or no donor information.

I am seeking information on this issue from a number of museums and would
appreciate any help offered.  For example, many of the objects found, under
the above mentioned conditions, in our museum do not fall under the state law
concerning abandoned property.  Another complication we face is that there is
no clearly defined language in our Collections Policy to adequately address
those objects found that have no accession numbers or donor information.  I
am interested to know if others have similar problems within your
collection(s),  if there are policies dealing with thses specific types of
objects, and how one accessions and/or deaccessions these objects legally?
 If one can possibly send a copy of one's policy it would be greatly
appreciated.  A copy of our existing policy is available upon request, as is
more information if one is interested.  With the information gained from this
request I hope to aid in the creation of a more clearly defined policy
addressing this important issue.

Again, any assistance is much appreciated.  Please send any information via
email to [log in to unmask] or through the mail to the following address:
      Ginger M. Young
       Museum of Texas Tech University
      Lubbock,  TX  79401-3191

Sincerely,