From:
VivianLea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:04:02 -0400
Good morning - If you are looking for a correct 18th century style 'Dutch
oven' please be sure to order something like Townsend's CP-733 (see
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=100&osCsid=0c2
9ced4c073bc31a39209c13de78bbe ).  The flat top style of Dutch oven develops
after the 18th century.  (For documentation see George Neumann's
"Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" and look
under "Cooking wear."  There are several round bottomed pots like CP-733.

As a Revolutionary-era reenactor I must encourage you to PLEASE remember the
old saying "CAVEAT EMPTOR."  While there are a number of excellent sutlers
out there, not all sutlers sell everything that is 100% accurate to the
period.  Typically, you need to be an educated buyer and pick and chose from
what is available to assemble the best possible collection of reproductions.

Please email me off list if you have further questions.
Sincerely,
VivianLea Stevens

VivianLea Stevens
Curator