From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:37:40 -0700
Marcella,

I agree entirely with every single comment on this thread - DO insist
on a museum collections management / curatorial staff member /
conservator accompany and monitor the use of the motorcycle at all
times and have express control over the use and handling of the
artifact.

You have to realize and accept that the interests of all of the film
crew, rightly, is to get the best possible shot in the quickest time
within their schedule. You interest is in the security and
preservation of the motorcycle. Ultimately, if you believe that if
these two perspectives can be comfortably joined then  lease the bike
for the film. If there is any doubt, don't.

In my experiences I have run into some excellent film crews that
respect and protect the property of others during film and I have also
witnessed what I could call barbarous behavior towards the property of
others. You really need to forge a meeting of the minds with the
production staff. If the producers / director / art department make
promises ,  insist that it all go into writing.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator