From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:45:05 -0500
Oh Boy!  You just opened up another one, Ross.  Let's see where this one
goes.

I am from the Northwest (Oregon).  I came to Texas twenty-seven years ago.
 It was not until I took this museum position (I did international stuff
for twenty years), that I fully encountered the "Confederate" attitude.  I
have been amazed over the past six years that it still exists.  Mind you,
it generally has nothing to do with the slavery issue.  I is focused more
on the "Southern Culture" whatever that might be, and its loss since the
War.  There is a strong anti-"federal" element, although most of the vocal
ones don't understand what "federal" really means.

One of our local community colleges for instance, will not accept federal
assistance for the college work-study program.  They fund it themselves.  I
have a board member who threatens to quit if I accept any more N.E.A.
money.  He claims to object on the grounds that N.E.A. funds immoral
projects but putting everything he says together, it is clear to me that he
simply doesn't want us taking any of that "federal" money.  The only
exhibit he has ever spent any time in was War, Reconstruction and Recovery
in Brazoria County (soon to be viewable on our website).  He was delighted
that we brought Dr. Vandiver, a noted Civil War historian to speak on
opening night and ignored the fact that the program and exhibit were funded
by N.E.H. dollars.

I shared the platform with a local community college president at last
year's Sons of the Confederacy Banquet.  Wow!  His speech bemoaned the loss
of the "Southern Culture."

The problem I have with all of this is that I have never been able to get
these people to define for me what the "Southern Culture" really is or
would be, in this day and time.  I think that's because the mythical
southern culture was one based on the mythically easy-livin' plantation
society.

Maybe someone can pick this up and offer a deeper explanation.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar