From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:06:10 -0600
Whoaa! Australia? That was a close call! Could have killed us all. Good
thing we planned for meteor strikes by watching all those movies.

Thanks Marielle.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Marielle Fortier
             <numuseum@HOTMAIL
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: a rational digression? CSI=MSI

             12/06/2005 08:00
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Mark,  At my museum we often joke about being MSI (Museum scene
investigators!)  Also did you catch that meteor that fell over Australia,
not to mention that earthquake in the Congo!

Marielle

**********************
Marielle Fortier
Museum Registrar
Norwich University Museum
Northfield, Vermont
**********************

-
>a rational digression?
>Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:37:35 -0600
>
>Roger et al.,
>
>Thanks. Looks like a well constructed site, and useful. Kudos on your
>involvement.
>
>However, since I do not have an alarmist bone in my body(and it is
Monday),
> [...]
>diseases that do not cross over species lines to which we are exposed
>daily, any one of which might have the same effects. Currently you can
only
>get the "bird flu" from infected birds(and perhaps through mosquitoes),
and
>even then the odds are astronomical, since it is not a virus that normally
>effects humans at all. Even if you catch it, it still can not be
>transmitted from person to person, and it is nowhere near 100% fatal. At
>this point it is hardly an earthshaking problem, and no amount of planning
>on my institution's part is going to do a darned thing to change whether
it
>becomes a bigger one. It also seems odd to me that they are cranking out
>vaccinations for a virus that does not yet exist, i.e. a virus that can be
>transmitted from person to person. Perhaps a vaccination against the one
>that occasional people get directly from birds will be helpful?
>
>My university does have plans for tornadoes, terrorist attack, fires,
>nuclear war, floods, and even earthquakes(in Kansas). There are medication
>distribution plans and centers should something sweep across the nation.
>Hopefully they will not go further off the deep end and develop a new plan
>for every potential yet unrealized threat that crops up in the future.
>Besides, are we done planning for HIV, tuberculosis, heart disease,
cancer,
>and all the other problems that we already have, without adding ones that
>do not yet exist and may never come to pass? Hundreds of thousands die
>every year from those already pandemic diseases.
>
>All that said, it is still technically possible that the bird flu pandemic
>will occur someday. Actually, on a less cheerful note, it is a certainty
>something like it will occur eventually, since the earth is going to get
>really tired of the skin disease that is us. I am glad the CDC and the
>WHO(not the band) are there to shield us from the plaent's righteous
>revenge. I personally prefer to waste my fears on random lightning
strikes,
>dinosaur-killing meteors, and machete-wielding sociopaths. I promise not
>complain if I am one of the ones it strikes down. The plandemic I mean.
>
>Please note that the usual caveats of my not being a professional
alarmist,
>viral epidemiologist, or vital statistics analyzer apply, although I would
>be happy to play one on tv. A spot on CSI Las Vegas would rock!
>
>Have a great day all.
>
>Mark Janzen
>Registrar/Collections Manager
>Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
>Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
>Wichita State University
>(316)978-5850
>

>              Roger Smith
>              CO.NZ>
>              Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
cc
>              SE.LSOFT.COM>
Subject
>                                        A thought for the list - The most
>                                        serious health threat facing the
>              12/04/2005 11:04          planet says W.H.O.
>              PM
>

>              Please respond to
>              Museum discussion
>                    list
>                SE.LSOFT.COM>
>

>Greeting to list members,
>
>CBS yesterday is quoted as saying " Fewer than 100 people have died
>worldwide, yet the World Health Organization calls the Avian Flu'  the
most

>serious health threat facing the planet, greater than AIDS or
tuberculosis"

>While not wishing to spread either panic nor despondency amongst the list,
>it seemed timely to remind people that I recently published another
"public

>good" web site  - Global Pandemic News -  which can be viewed at
>http://www.pandemic-news.info
>
>Our  university ( my day job! ) is reasonably well advanced it its plans
>
>combat such an pandemic and other list members may also be formulating
>plans?
>
>I built the above site to bring live news feeds 24X7 to anyone with an
>interest in this topic.  This is just a timely reminder of the web address
>and its existence.  You may want to share it with friends?
>
>Best wishes to all
>
>Roger
>Global Museum

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
"Signoff