From:
Roy Hemmat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 05:43:47 -0800
Some deep thoughts regarding Access .. (with the caveat that this is from someone
with limited experience with the product .. in other words, I may not know what the
heck I'm talking about)

In the "olden days" you needed to have the access data running on a special server
(provided by Microsoft, naturally) .. now with Access 2002 you have more flexibility
(somewhat, you may STILL need to use a windows server such as NT to host the data ..
I'm a bit uncertain about this) .. one of the many problems (obviously not a fan of
Access!) .. is even with Access 2002 (which is NOT inexpensive, BTW) the web visitor
needs to be using a 5.0 or higher version of Explorer (which according to my stats,
about 90% have) ..

You "can" use Macromedia products to create/maintain access databases .. one handy
link to info is included below.

As Star Meyer pointed out, generating logical and useful multi-field quesries can be
very tricky .. although there are utilities to help create the query forms (coded in
VB I believe, but don't quote me on that) .. the learning curve may be steep ..
there are many tutorials available online that will provide greater assistance than
I can.

Final biased thought .. consider CGI using PERL to program .. that's what I do, it's
my "specialty" .. learned it the hard way by trial and error (emphasis on the error)
.. but it's what I use to run my MuseumStuff.com site .. able to tolerate 1000's of
visitors and quesries a day, and using flattext files to boot .. (the right way
would be PHP and MySQL .. but leave that for another day) .. If you'd like some help
determining if CGI/PERL might be appropriate just send me a personal note and I'll
do my best.

Final final thought .. the recent worm problems that have attacked Microsoft servers
should put the fear of SQL and Access into anyone .. UNIX is much more tolerant to
attack .. but that can of "worms" is definately another topic altogether.

NOTE - I'm guessing you've already done a Google (or other) search for relevant
resources .. but for your convenience, some ready links below:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/access/default.asp

http://www.fgcu.edu/support/office2000/access/

http://www.functionx.com/access/

http://www.macromedia.com/software/ultradev/resources/access/

--
Roy Hemmat
Director, Discovery Media

** 1000's of museums and educational links
now available through our award-winning gateway