From:
"Matthew W. Roth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 19:04:21 PST
Dear Listers,

Has anyone ever seen a PR campaign aimed at promoting an entire museum
rather than a specific program such as a new exhibit?  An entire museum
that is huge and diverse?  NOT a membership campaign, nor development.
What I'm trying to get at is whether the yeasty variety of a big
museum is by itself attractive from the standpoint of promotion, or
whether that variety defeats the focus that PR types cherish (they
call it positioning).  If we grant that simplification carries the
virtue of accessibility (remember now, the context is PR, not program),
do we also miss out on those potential visitors who might be
attracted by broad scope?  Are there enough of them to matter?

If you want to respond directly:  [log in to unmask]

I will summarize direct responses for the list if demand exists.

Thanks,

Matt Roth
Curator, Petersen Museum (the soon-to-open branch of the Natural History
of LA County)