Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 14:22:09 -0700
Our scanner is a UMAX Powerlook II which we got in
1999 and it's still going strong and being used on its
third computer.  I've no idea what price a current
model Powerlook would be. Ours was £1100 when we got
it, but certainly money well spent. The entire lid on
the scanner can be replaced with a transparency
adapter. Our scanner has done collections
digitisation, scanning of slides and transparencies
and high res scanning of images for reproduction in
permanent exhibitions. The one thing it isn't good on
is negatives, it's very hit and miss whether the
colour reproduction is correct.
Carrie

--- Katherine White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> We are in the process of purchasing a new flatbed
> scanner (with a budget of
> around $1000). Has anyone had success scanning color
> transparencies on a
> flatbed, and if so, what brand and model scanner did
> you use?
>
> How many museums are still using CTs as the "gold
> standard" for documenting
> their collection? We have a fair number of 4 x 5
> CTs, but are wondering how
> useful it will be to purchase a scanner to scan them
> if CTs are becoming
> less common due to digital media.
>
> Any advice on the topic would be appreciated!
>
> Katherine White
> Visiting Intern
> Kresge Art Museum
> Michigan State University
> East Lansing, MI 48824

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail