From:
David Bingell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:24:03 -0800
To all the paper conservators and those who love them:

Please point me in the right direction for a project
the White Mountain Apache Tribe is interested in
pursuing.

We are about to receive a fantastic document in the
form of children's drawings of Apache life from the
1930's and 40's.  They are all mounted on the type of
paper the old grocery bags are made from, and the
paper they are drawn on is, of course, not very good.
They are mounted in book form, the owners took one
apart (actually, it fell apart), and store it in an
acid free binder -- great idea!  But the paper is
still highly acidic, and the adhesives are beginning
to break down.  A few of the drawings are starting to
fall out.

This is a precious document, and we are trying to find
how much money will be needed to conserve and preserve
the documents, who may we approach for this type of
project, and where is a good paper conservator located
(at least near to us)?

Thank you for your kind consideration in regards to
this matter.

David Bingell
Collections Manager
Nohwike' Bagowa White Moutain Apache Cultural Center
and Museum
Fort Apache, Arizona