From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:17:00 -0800
Randy,

There may be a distinction in the Fair Use doctrine of US Copyright
law in regards to an educational institution that charges admission -
and especially when there is a seperate ticket for an individual
exhibit in which a copyright protected work is used. There are
functional distinctions between libraries, universities and
classrooms, and museums - so I would be very careful about attempting
to use a copyright protected work before researhing this thoroughly.
After all , I doubt that IMAX films are shown for free in museums and
science centers. PBS is nonprofit and yet they pay for the use of much
of the media they broadcast.

Here is an idea - if you want music in an exhibit why not support
local muscians and ask one of them to provide the music for you and
rmake sure that they receive acknowledgement for it? Maybe even invite
the artist to give an evening show at the museum that will draw folks
there to also see your exhibits? All too often people will look
elsewhere rather than supporting the artist's in their own community.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator