From:
Jan Spoerri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 00:06:06 -0500
     I like the library-style detector idea... to nail the
fiendish little perpetrators. Sirens, and rotating lights
are definitely in order!

    Clifford's point about visitors not wanting to disable
the unit is very interesting...
     This one puzzle that I'm working on now, "The Nine Fire
Station Problem", uses these nine blocks to cover a six by
six grid.  Each "fire station" serves the 4 adjacent(not
diagonal) squares(also, one corner is a "park").  Anyway,
when we prototyped it, only about 1/2 the people could get
it with nine blocks, and someone suggested to have ten
blocks there so that the visitor could always get it right.
In the copy, they would then ask them: "Can you do it with
nine", making it an exercise in economy. I don't like that
idea.  I think that there should only be nine blocks, and if
you can't get it, tough.  Not to worry! According to
Clifford's theory, the tenth superfluous block would
probably (*hopefully*) get stolen!

???

-Jan

(516)324-2683