From:
Beatrice Hulsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:17:03 -0500
Meg, Being a packrat I have lots and lots of miscellaneous notes.  The
following might help but I cannot cite just what I bought that this note
came with.
Cleaning Lucite: Wash with a mild soap or detergent and lukewarm water.  Use
a clean soft cloth or sponge.  Rinse well and blot dry with a damp cloth or
chamois.  Never use abrasive cleaners, household cleaners, window-cleaning
fluids, scouring compounds, gritty cloths or strong solvents such as
alcohol, acetone, carbon tetrachloride, etc.  To maintain the brilliant
luster of Lucite, wax occasionally with a good grade of automobile paste
wax.  (Not a cleaner-wax combination).  Apply a thin coat with a clean
cotton flannel cloth.  Then wipe with a clean damp cloth.  Never use
household spray waxes.
My concern would be how to tell if an object is Lucite or some other
plastic.  A call to a conservator would certainly be appropriate.  Hope this
helps.

At 09:02 AM 1/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I should probably clarify my attached post from yesterday afternoon.  The
>lucite box in question is actually a collection item, not a display case.
> Are the normal plex polishes still the route to go?
>
>Megan

Beatrice Hulsberg