From:
Executive Director <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:17:33 -0500
Ross Weeks Jr. wrote:

> Someone asked awhile back to point out "clues" in job postings that may
> suggest that certain people not apply.  Here is one:
>
> Subject: Job Opening - Director, NYC Fire Museum
>
> >Job Annoucement
> >
> >Director
> >New York City Fire Museum
> >
> >Qualifications: The successful candidate will have <snip> an awareness of
> New York City  history. >
>
> Now, what does "awareness" mean?  Anyone born and bred in Wyoming might not
> have "awareness" but be perfectly capable of become CEO here and in the
> process, learning what history is necessary for the museum's mission.
good point, you do not have to be born bred and in state, county or even
city to become knowledgeable in the history of said museum.  you do need
to be able to read, absorb and be able to answering question concerning
the history of museum.  I know first hand, I lived in Indianapolis,
relocated to Muncie, IN.  became Executive Assistant for Delaware County
Historical Alliance this position requires being a docent for the
Moore--Youse Home Museum,  I read, studied, and absorbed the history of
the family and answer questions related to the facts of the museum.
jackie