From:
VivianLea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:39:40 -0500
Good afternoon,  I am seeking archival and 3-D objects related to William
Richards (1716 - 1787), mariner, merchant, potter and ship's husbandman to
the Pennsylvania Navy during the American Revolution.

During the mid-18th century, Richards was a ship's captain sailing out of New
York to London and up and down the east coast.  (Two of his brothers, Samuel
& Nathaniel were also captains.)  By the 1760s, he had a shop on market
Street in Philadelphia and a large business complex in Lamberton, NJ, now part
of Trenton.  Several years ago, this complex was excavated by a local CR firm
and we are working with them to do an exhibit on this man who
was 'Remarkable for his industry'.  Richards' stoneware kiln which was
excavated and yielded incredible stoneware shards as well as large quantities
of saggers and wasters is one of only 3 professionally excavated 18th century
kiln sites excavated on the Atlantic Seaboard.

I'm seeking artifacts, both 3-D and archival, associated with William Richards
and his family (who lived in Bergen County, NJ and New York city).  If this info
rings a bell and you wouldn't mind taking a moment to check your catalogs, I
would love to hear from you.  I am especially hopeful that someone
somewhere will have an account book from his time in Lamberton, NJ where he
simultaneously operated a fish boiling/packing house, the stoneware pottery,
two commercial sized bake ovens, and a general store.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance you may provide!
Sincerely,
VivianLea Stevens
Curator
Old Barracks Museum