From:
Clare Gervasoni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:25:37 +0000
Hi Melanie

I am an Arts educator and a Museum educator in Australia. The
Australian  Institute od Art education which is affiliated with INSEA
(International Society of Education Through the Arts) has produced
some guidelines for Art Education. One of the worst things you can do
for a childs artistic development is a colouring in activity. Instead
of simply colouring in a student coud be asked to draw a particular
thing (eg the blue vase, or the Ming Dynsaty sculpture, or their
favourite object on display) or you could provide half of a drwing
and ask th estudent to finish it. These type of activities tell the
student that their drawings are not only valid, but wanted and worthy
of a student of their age. Colouring in simply tells students that
their work should be as good as the professional artist who provided
the black lines and they are only good enough to colour in. It is
after colouring activities that students start to say "I can't draw."

Other important aspects of good art education is exhibition rather
than competition. Exhibitions show all students work as valid, where
as a competition says one artwork is better than another.
Competitions take all sorts of aesthetic judgements into
consideration rather than the artistic debvelopment of the child.

In Australia the average reading age is that of a 12 year old - so
the text should be accessable to a majority of reading levels. Use a
simple word, or if trying to extend language explain the more
difficult words. Try to relate th eactivities to the students lives
as this will make it more relevant.

The other really important thing is to make the activities relevant
to school programme. This helps teachers fulfil their educational
aims, therefore they are more likely to visit the exhibition.

Good luck! I am happy to answer any questions or help with
suggestions.
Clare Gervasoni

Hi,
I am designing a children's guide for a Chinese exhbition of ceramics and
textiles.  This is my first time writing a children's guide and I need to
know if there are any specific things I need to consider (Some do's and
don'ts perhaps?)

So far I have some word puzzles, coloring exercises, a scavenger hunt
(looking activities) and some history.  Could the experienced museum
educators out there provide me with some advice?  Send do's and don'ts to
my personal address or feel free to post them on the list for everyone!

Thank you in advance,

Melanie Cagonot