From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:19:42 -0400
RE: Foot binding...but doesn't this surpass any cultural standards and fit
into what is humane, and what is not?  Corsets were a choice, foot binding
was not. And the pain NEVER ceased, from what I understand.  We had a
missionary associated with the religious group our museum interprets who
spent 40 years in China helping to solve this problem and others...now of
course imposing our Christian American standards probably wasn't a great
idea either, but helping women to walk properly without pain certainly seemd
like a good mission.

Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center