From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 11:45:17 CST
I've been involved with several "hype" attempts at libraries-as-a-whole.
My personal feeling are that they don't work; like museums, library users have
particular areas of the collection they feel strongly about.  If the results
of the "hype"....e.g. fund-raising...is not portioned to the users' areas of
interest...all future attempts fail.   In my particular case, I've had users
of Special Collections wanting to give funds to "help" our Department, but they
go into a general "library" fund under the control of the Director who uses
them for such things as donuts for workshops, etc.   In short, I would think
museums would be close to libraries in vying for user support of specific
collections...sometimes this makes hype-as-a-whole impossible.