From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:11:09 -0500
On 11/29/05, unlisted <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> maybe i am missing something here. if an intern is looking to a long term
> career in a museum environment? wouldn't they or better shouldn't they know
> - if not from upbringing - at minimum from professional association - how to
> dress appropriately?

The problem is that these days, defining "appropriate dress" is not
what it used to be. Personally, I blame it on the hippies and the
bra-burners of the 60s and 70s who rebelled against the straight-laced
society of the 40s and 50s. ;)

If you look at what is happening in schools, many schools are going
back to uniforms or strict dress codes because kids don't have a
concept of appropriate dress. Carry this into college where some days,
it's an accomplishment just to be dressed for classes and you have an
entire generation of people who can't dress themselves. Fueling this
is the dot.com revolution which allowed jeans, shorts, and whatever in
the work environment and popularized the notion that it's not what you
wear but what you produce on the job that counts.

I have to agree with Miss Manners that "business casual" is probably
the worst thing to happen to the workplace. Instead of having a
clearly defined dress code, people now have to stress over what
constitutes "business casual". For most places, jeans are still right
out but what about dressy designer jeans with a blazer and nice shoes
that can look nicer than the average pair of khakis and a sport coat?
How short is too short with skirts? What about capris? Business casual
creates more problems than it addresses in most cases.

But if you look at the successful people out there, they do "dress for
success". Would Donald Trump be as formidable if he said, "You're
fired," in jeans and a t-shirt? Would Martha Stewart be the domestic
goddess in sweats? Would Oprah rule the talk show world in pjs and
bunny slippers?

While I don't think we need to go back to the days of mandatory
3-piece suits, I do think more emphasis needs to be placed on personal
attire. If you dress neatly, you will be treated with more respect.
And personally, I think this starts at a very young age when parents
say, "No Johnny, that is not an appropriate outfit for today. You need
to wear your nice clothes. Mommy and Daddy are wearing their nice
clothes too."

deb