From:
elaine zopes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:02:54 UT
Here's a new/old topic to get our minds off the Getty episode:

RE:  When to say when
MyFlee,

Your intentions to build your resume are very practical and your intensions to
save this museum are very noble, however, consider this: not every museum is
worth saving.  Stephen Weil has written some very good articles on this
subject, including "Creampuffs and Hardball:  Are You Really Worth What You
Cost?"  (Museum News Sept/Oct 1994).  When I first heard him give this talk
for the New Jersey Assoc. of Museums in June 1994, I was very opposed.  Of
course every museum is worth it!  Isn't that what we believe in?  With time I
have come to accept his ideas.

So here's a question: if the board, volunteers, and town do not support this
institution, is it worth the effort you are planning to put into it?

If you decide that, yes, this institution is worth saving, then by all means,
find a way to get paid!  Come in as a professional and expect to be treated as
such.  Otherwise, I fear, that the town will continue to think of this as an
amusement for some volunteers rather than as a serious community benefit.

I have worked with some dedicated volunteers and trustees to build my own
institution up from a privately held museum, and some may say amusement for
its founder, to one that is perceived as a professional museum that is a
benefit to the community.

Start from the position that your skills & expertise are worth paying for.  I
agree with a previous comment that you start grant-writing first.  This was my
institution's first step in hiring professional staff eight years ago.
Perhaps you can find someone to fund a two-year directorship.  That will give
you time to really accomplish something.  Then consider applying for a MAP I
report.  That will give you a concrete path to follow, and something you can
take to the town fathers (and mothers) to prove your position.

I wish you all the best,

Elaine Clements Zopes
Director
Museum of Early Trades & Crafts