From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:08:11 -0800
There are a number of explanations possible, skirts most definitely were the norm in the 1880's, though 20-30 years later split skirts may have been worn. The skirt may have been altered into pants 15-20 years later, or the donors may have the wrong dates or wearer to begin with, it is impossible to say without looking at the object. My first instinct is to think that it was altered later, especially if the bodice is in good shape. If the skirt was destroyed by riding, the bodice would be in pretty bad shape as well. If you have a picture, I would be happy to take a look at it if you want to contact me off list.

Elizabeth Walton
www.clotheslinejournal.com