From:
"Koeppe, Tina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:05:12 +0000
For best results, be sure to find a paper that has profiles for your printer. Color printed results will vary wildly depending on the paper and paper profile.

For ease in mounting images and labels on foam core, look for a heavier weight paper.

I use Epson Premium Presentation Paper, Matte for printing labels and some images. The Epson papers labeled "Premium" are thicker and aren't as prone to wrinkling as the regular presentation paper when you mount them on foamcore. NOTE: I use Epson printers.

About Epson Presentation (premium and non premium) papers: There are two sides of the paper. One side is slightly brighter. You want to print on the bright side of the paper, otherwise your images will not be as vibrant.

One draw-back to the Epson Premium Presentation papers is that the finished printed surface is soft and easily damaged by finger prints, sneezes, fingernails, abrasions from other paper. For printed images that will not be put in display cases or frames, I apply a matte laminate overlay film to the surface. I get my laminate film from http://www.codamount.com/. The laminate film comes in big rolls, but Coda will cut them down for you. I use a jet mounter to apply the film, but for small images, you could use a plastic squeegee.

I do not use glossy papers when printing images for exhibit because they glare like crazy under gallery and natural light.

I have been using Epson semi matte photo paper to print some images for exhibit, however I get it in big rolls to use in our large format printer and I am not sure Epson makes it in 11x17 size. Maybe investigate some other brands that do a matte or semi-matte photo paper. The semi-matte doesn't glare as badly and the surface is less delicate than the non-photo paper. We don't laminate images printed on this paper.

Depending on how you are mounting the images on foam core, you might want to check out some adhesive backed papers. I have banned spray adhesives from our exhibits department because of the risks to staff and artifacts. We use double sided adhesive film (also from http://www.codamount.com/) to apply images to foam core.

Let me know if you want some more tips or trouble-shooting! We do all of our museum's label/image printing and mounting in house and have been through a lot of trial & error in regards to materials and techniques.

Tina

Tina Koeppe
Exhibits Services Coordinator
Nebraska State Historical Society