From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 06:58:31 -0700
While Chris makes a valid point about archaeologists (and I should know 'cause
I'm married to one), librarians are also on the low end of the salary scale.
For the most part, we are required to have an MLS to work in a library, but
our salary range is pathetic (at least in academic libraries). Public
libraries pay much better. An example is that after 8 years here, I have
tenure and a salary around $28,000. A entry-level position at the Phoenix
Public Library is advertised at $31,000.

And it is not just because we are a state university. The University of
Arizona, in the southern part of the state, is advertising entry-levels at
$29,000.

To make things look even worse, there is a PART-TIME, permanent position at a
public library in San Diego with a salary of $36,000. Now, how do you think
that makes me feel?

Librarians are seen as public servants, and are not given the same treatment
as faculty (i.e. respect). I realize that museum professionals have a similar
problem, so I will quietly fall off my soapbox now. :-(

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
[log in to unmask]  Owner: HISTARCH, SPANBORD, SUB-ARCH