From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:29:38 -0500
We roll our quilts (including acid-free tissue paper buffer) with the pattern in the center and then cover it w/ an unbleached cotton "blanket" secured with cotton ties at each end of the acid-free tube.  A pole is then inserted into the tube and hung horizontally on a rolling frame.  We chose this method for two reasons, more efficient use of space and ease of access.  This method makes finding the attached accession number much easier as it is right there in the corner of the quilt making the handling of the quilt itself unneccesary.

I think every institution would love to have flat storage for all of their textiles, but it simply isn't economical, especially if you have any kind of large textile collection.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers  IN  46038
317-776-6000  ext. 251
317-776-6014  fax

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/25/03 09:21AM >>>
Hi there!

Well, not only am I working on a paper for collaboration, I am also working
on one in regard to the care and collection management of antique quilts
(my first love).

I have been reading several books on this subject and just about everyone
says something a little bit different.

Most all agree that flat storage is the best.  However, this is not always
possible due to space constraints.  This is where the question comes
in:  of the books I've read, they each have their own scenario as to what
is the next best thing for storing quilts.

1)  Rolling the quilt with the design to the center so that it is less
tension on the stitches.  (They all talk of making sure that the quilt is
rolled onto a 3-5" thick tube and put in some type of sleeve to keep dust,
etc. off)

2)  Rolling the quilt with the design to the outside so that if there are
any creases it will be on the backing and not the top

3)  Folded storage because it causes the least amount of stress on the
quilt.  Granted the stitches where the folds are will be stressed. (They
all suggest packing the folds with acid free paper so that it is not a
harsh fold.)

For those of you that work with antique quilts/textiles, what is your
method of storage and why do you prefer it??

Thanks for your input!

Kathy