From:
Maggie Harrer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:39:09 EDT
Dear John,
That is a truly thoughtful question.  I must admit, I USED to be in the camp
of "all this accessibility nonsense is getting in the way of our already
difficult funding situations."
Then I fell and broke my leg in 3 places and was in a wheel chair, then
crutches for about 4 months.  Talk about a radical introduction to the difficulties
of getting around in our world!!!!  I am now RESOUNDINGLY on the side of "let
us find a way to make our historic sites and exhibits accessible!!!!"  There
does have to be an awareness that we should not destroy the historic
authenticity of a site SIMPLY to make it accessible...HOWEVER, there are numerous
creative ways to make a site accessible for those who have difficulties
maneuvering.  I have seen sites that creatively use cameras and interactive computers to
allow individuals to "explore" areas they cannot reach.  There is also the
simple trick of LOWERING kiosts and computers so that they are wheelchair
accessible.  There are also ways of creating passageways that are more accessible and
of attempting to use ramps whenever possible.  There is not always a simple
answer, but NOW I will always LOOK for an answer.
All the best,
Maggie