From:
Glyn Balkwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:09:54 +0200
>>From [log in to unmask]  Mon Aug 16 00:17:12 1999
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Joris Komen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Insect@thon results
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:09:10 +0100
>
>Hi Glyn
>
>here's a feed which I've distributed to a considerable number of lists - I
>would be grateful if you could forward it to MUSEUM-L since I don't
>subscribe there:-)
>
>Dear Listers!:-)
>
>With abject apology for cross-posting:-)
>
>I have good news for you:-).  The Insect@thon worked like a bomb!:-)  In
>spite of the fact that we had a number of Bill Gates glitches:-) to deal
>with prior to event, resulting in a delayed start -  the kids only finished
>the training process at 12h00 on Saturday - the results were quite
>astounding!  If we had had 30 Imacs this show would have been on the road
>at 08h00!:-)
>
>> From 12h30 to 18h30 on Saturday, and from 08h30 to 16h30 on Sunday,
>including half-hour breaks for teas and lunch, (6 + 8  - 2.5 hrs = 12.5
>hours),  92 kids from 16 schools (we had a last minute gate-crashing school
>( 3 kids ) that we simply couldn't turn away - they were sooooo incredibly
>keen!:-)), using 4 Imacs and 27 Windoz boxes,  managed to computerize
>
>20, 897 insect inventory records comprising 11 data fields (catalogue
>number, order, family, genus, species, collection locality, collector, no.
>of specimens and day, month year) representing 97, 696 specimens in the
>National Museum's insect collection.
>
>Our immediate post-event validation process picked up 3,232 invalid records
>over and above the 20, 987 acceptable inventory records - that's a
>remarkably low 13% error margin!  Please take note that 66 kids had not had
>*ANY* previous computer experience prior to the event!  We will provide a
>more detailed breakdown of these results on the Insect@thon website in due
>course.
>
>Oh, by the way - the three top winning team are
>
>Tsumeb Junior Secondary School who managed to computerize  a total of 2,363
>records, with only 11 invalid records!  (I think they'll do us proud in
>*any* first world museum insect collection next year:-)).  Second and third
>teams were Wennie Du Plessis High School of Gobabis with 2214 records (9
>invalid records), and Suiderlig High School of Keetmanshoop with 2205
>records (9 invalid records).
>
>Now ain't that simply amazing?!!:-)
>
>Best regards!
>
>Joris @ Insect@thon!
>
>PS - by 17h00 on Sunday some 650 webcam requests were logged at the PC
>Centre's website - a lot of people came to see the event "live" over the
>internet!

* Glyn Balkwill                     Tel (w)  : 27 (0)12 341-1320 *
* Deputy Director                   Tel (h)  : 27 (0)12 664-1973 *
* Collections Management            Cell     : 27 (0)82 770-7826 *
* National Cultural History Museum  Fax      : 27 (0)12 341-6146 *
* PO Box 28088                      Email    : [log in to unmask]   *
* SUNNYSIDE                                                      *
* 0132  RSA                                                      *
* Any opinions expressed are strictly my own                     *

Museum-L" (without the quotes).