From:
Nancy Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:47:23 -0500
>>> Wait a min, no one ever said that one always *needs* a car.  From what I understand of LA, it is a spread out city and public transport isn't the
greatest across town.  DC is like that as well.  Public transport is fine
if you live in the city and stay in the city.  But if you want to go to the
suburbs in VA or MD, you need a car because public transport is majorly
lacking.

Of course, there are those of us who have survived just fine in DC without a car -- and i've been here since 1980. But I do understand what you're saying, and when you're working for something like a design firm, then getting around to work on outstanding Staples & Charles exhibits (hopefully one day at NPM), then a car is no doubt very crucial.

Nancy A. Pope
National Postal Museum
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC 20560