From:
Bridget Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:33:32 -0500
Following this thread...Just 2 cents.....
I have worked with organizations that used a "recent acquisitions case" to
display, document and praise recent donations/donors.  (And this was the
only location in the museums where donors were listed by name and a history
of them/their family was provided...etc)...this provided museum staff with a
means of sticking by the legal and ethical requirements of collecting and
collections policies but still is a means of  "honoring" donors with a
special place and (limited)  time of exhibit for their cherished items.
Photographs of an item on display in such a case and having it in a
prominent location (as you enter a gallery) are sent to donors.  Kept on
file they would be great for visiting relatives or donors who return when
that particular item is not on display.  ("See we DID have it on exhibit!!")
A visual reminder that "we" the museum appreciate your donation, but space
and conservation constraints prevent our display of everything, all the
time....seemed to keep folks smiling.

Bridget Jones
Sam Rayburn House Museum
Bonham, TX