From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:05:11 -0600
Hi Kim;

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers to your questions.  The good
news is, you might be mistaken is thinking most museum jobs require a
Master's degree--I know I don't have one, neither does my boss, or most
of the people I know working in small to medium-sized museums across
Canada.  I do have a post-graduate diploma from the University of
Victoria, which helped enormously in narrowing my focus in museology, as
well as giving me a basic understanding of other aspects of museum work
that I don't usually engage in (which has proved helpful, as I inch
further away from collections management into exhibit design, budgeting,
and granstmanship).  However, I don't think my diploma has necessarily
been of much consequence in gaining employment--by that same token,
there are lots of Master's in Museums Studies on unemployment lines as
well, I'm sure.  Rather than investing too much in a candidate's
educational credentials, I'm sure most museum employers will be looking
for solid experience related to the position they're trying to fill.
The museum job market is so saturated, just being qualified for a job in
the field isn't enough.

A further word of caution--the museum job market is fairly small, and
may require you to shift around a fair bit until you get established (in
the past 10 years, I've moved 4 times, all across Canada and back again,
to pursue my museum career).  If education pursuits would be too
disruptive on your family, you might find that a museum career could be,
as well.

I don't want to sound full of doom and gloom here, it's just that
breaking into the museum field is tough, and you'd best be prepared for
that reality as soon as possible.  If you want to minimize disruption
for your family, perhaps your best bet would be to visit some museums in
your area and find out what qualifications they expect for the positions
you aspire to.  Volunteer at your local museums as much as you can, and
be willing to take on challenging work--it'll get you known among the
staff there, familiarize you with the daily work of a museum, and give
you valuable museum experience (be aware, though, that although some
museums are able to hire from their volunteer corps when a job comes up,
best not to put too much stock in this as a way in the door--more
valuable will be the experience you gain, and the contacts you make).

Best of luck;

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

Hello, Everyone,

I am considering whether or not to apply to a Museology program.  I
have
a degree in communication and have been a freelance writer for many
years. I want to turn my love of research, communication skills,
writing
skills, etc. toward a museums career; preferably education.

I live in Portland where there are no museum programs, nor any in
Oregon
as far as I can see. .The University of Washington has a wonderful
program. Joining that program would require me to move and uproot my
family. The U of W also has a certificate program; one which I could
manage without disrupting my life too much.

I realize that most jobs require the Masters. What is the general
consensus out there among you hiring managers about certificates?
Would
I be wasting my money and time with a Certificate? Or, would it afford
me some immediately marketable skills, qualifying me for a job in the
field?

How can I start training in this field /before/ waiting another three
years to begin and complete a program?

Thanks for all feedback.  : )

Kim Steffgen

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies