From:
burkhorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 13:24:55 +0000
On April 5, "  Jeanne Finan <[log in to unmask]>" said, in part:
...But how to get funding for PAID internships?
I'd like to here from some museums (or students who have done paid or unpaid
internships) on how they creatively solved this problem."

I have just finished filing an application for summer student
employees through a (Canadian) federal government-funded program. My
institution has also applied for provincial summer student employees
to work as summer  guides.
I would be willing to include training and these positions could be
considered internships if we ever found students to fill them who
were interested in pursuing a career in museums. However, there are
no appropriate courses in P.E.I., so we are liable to be hiring
programmers, historic gardener and guides who have little or no
interest in working in museums. Of course these programs do not pay
very much - minimum wage here is $4.75 p.h. and we have no funds to
top up.
Any Canadian students interested in museums work should haunt their
local museums - especially in smaller communities where we have to
use these programs to be able to open our doors in the summer.

Mary Burke
Manager
Beaconsfield Historic House
P.E.I. Museum, Charlottetown P.E.I.