From:
Dennis Kois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:39:46 -0400
Am I the only one who wonders why the whole issue of compensation, starting/
living wages, etcetera as discussed on Museum-L (over and over) is rarely
addressed by the AAM?

I personally cannot recall _any_ articles in Museum News about this topic in
the past few years, although of course I may have missed it. Given that this
is a huge one for the future of the profession, a constant source of debate
on Museum-L, always a hot topic in museum offices and staff cafeterias across
the country, and has been a problem for as long as anyone can remember, am I
the only one who finds it odd that the professional organization that
represents all of us has never broached the subject?

I haven't even seen any mention of the fact that a large percentage of the
staff of one of the nation's largest museums (MoMA, New York) is out on
strike this very minute (and has been for months) over compensation issues.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on-list who works within AAM; if the
AAM has addressed this topic, how and when? How does the AAM see its role as
advocate in this scenario- are you the advocate only for institutions, or do
you also have a role as an advocate for museum professionals if the issue is
one in which the problem may reside in the institutions themselves?

Just interested in hearing what others think- am I off base here?

Dennis Kois
Assistant Manager or Design
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York