From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:54:05 -0400
Suzanne,

This is the classic finishing dilemma: do you want something durable, and
therefore generally irreversible requiring significant intervention for
refinishing, or do you want something reversible and easily repaired, but
generally less durable?

Several questions first.

1) Why is the floor absorbing finish unevenly?  Was the existing finish
fully stripped or are there residues remaining?  If stripped, are there
residues of stripper remaining that are causing uneven absorption?  Was the
floor sanded to remove the existing finish?  Or, is the existing finish
still there (or partially there)?

2) Fast drying solvents off-gas faster, slow drying more slowly.  So, what
is the time frame between floor finishing and exhibit installation?
Water-based finishes have the least off-gassing, but generally are not very
reversible, and can not be spot repaired easily.

So, a bit more info will allow better advice to be given.  As they say in
conservation, the best proposal results after personal examination of the
item requiring treatment.  We'll do the best we can from a distance!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com <http://www.conservator.com/>
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)

(without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).