From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:11:48 -0800
   Write to your new institution and ask if they have any information on
anything that might be available.  Realize that the Brits regard U.S.
students as providers of income and are not always inclined to be
helpful.  Realize that when you enter the country you will likely be
asked to provide proof of your ability to support yourself for the
period of your studies.  You may prefer to investigate entering on a
tourist visa if you will not have all your funds to hand by the
beginning of the academic year (you'll have to leave the UK at the end
of each term for a few days at least and then re-enter) .  Don't tell
the school or UK Customs that that is what you're doing.
   You should have applied for a Fulbright, but it's too late now. Take a
look at my Web site, address below.  Ask relatives for loans. Borrow
student loans. Even if you live modestly, you will need every dime you
can find.  It is really rough to be stuck overseas with no money.
Working is not an option; even if you can find a job it is most likely
that the time it requires will take away from your studies.
   The U.S. is filled with excellent M.A. programs in art history.
Consider enrolling in a U.S. M.A./Ph.D. program--study here for two
years or so, do well, and earn a fellowship to study in the U.K. as an
ABD, when you won't be at the mercy of an unfamiliar and not always
supportive system.

Adrienne DeAngelis, Editor
Resources in Art History for Graduate Students
(http://members.efn.org/~acd/resources.html)