From:
Stacey Otte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 08:51:16 -0700
We are also a small organization--we now have 8 staff (5 f/t) and our board has gone through a
lot of maturing in the past 5 years.  Our current bylaws (which were updated in 98) mandate a
nominating committee (2 board + CEO) and an executive committee (4 officers + 1 other
trustee).  We felt that other committees could come and go as needed.  For several years there
was an exhibits committee, which has since disbanded as the staff has fully shouldered that
responsibility (and once the board saw our increased activity they were happy to back off) and a
development committee (which, again, the staff has largely handled many of those concerns or
brings to the executive committee).  While I don't necessarily agree with everything John Carver
says about boards, if you haven't read it yet, you should definitely get your hands on "Board
that Make a Difference."  I think he has some important things to say about committees and how
they can fragment the board and dilute its effectiveness and power.  In our case, we've found
that less is more.

Good luck and feel free to contact me off-list for more info...

Stacey Otte
Director
Catalina Island Museum
310-510-2414